Saturday, May 20, 2006
I don't think Margaret Atwood meant for "The Handmaid's Tale" to be a blueprint.
Despite the fact that the maladministration has proven itself to be totally inept, time after time, it is important to remember that they have definite agenda. And that agenda is being enacted as we blog. Think of the I.D. card for legal aliens. How the hell will anyone be able to tell a legal Mexican resident from an illegal. Think about it. Pull over a Guatamalen and he'll say, no sir officer, I was born here, I don't need an i.d. card. How will anyone know. The upshot will be i.d. cards for everyone. We couldn't just have cards for brown people. Once that happens it will be a simple matter to program the cards to keep track of your movements and spending habits. Let's go one step further. The FDA has decided that menstruating women should be considered pre-pregnant. With the handy dandy i.d. card it will be easy enough to program the card not to to sell cigs or liquor to any woman between the ages of 12 and 55. I don't think Margaret Atwood meant for "the Handmaid's Tale" to be a blueprint.
