Monday, December 05, 2011

Bonnie Hunter's Orca Mystery Quilt, Part 3



This is a lot of fun. I participated in the RRCB mystery last year and made a few fatal mistakes. First and foremost, since the outcome was to be a mystery, I was afraid I wouldn't like it and didn't want to waste my favorite fabrics. So I only used fabrics I didn't like. You can guess the result of that. Second, I don't like big quilts, but decided to do the entire thing instead of cutting it down to a size I felt more comfortable with. You can guess the result of that.

For the Orca Mystery Quilt, I am using my favorite fabrics, but only making half the number of suggested blocks. In addition, while I don't hate string blocks, I don't particularly like them either so I will use either one fabric or many blues to keep some of the motion.

The fun part is learning new techniques. I've tried all different ways to make HSTs and was not satisfied with any. Always, I had to cut them down. Someone on Bonnie's facebook page linked to this site that has free downloadable piecing paper with the lines already drawn. Huzzah. That is what you see is in the picture above. One sheet produces 18 perfect HSTs. Taking Bonnie's advice, I used a small stitch and a large needle. Removing the paper is a piece of cake. Then just press and snip off those doggies. Love it and will make good use of it in the future.

Thanks again Bonnie.

Comments:
Hi, I really think you need to let go. I used to cherish my fabrics and not want to 'waste' them on something in case I needed them for something else. In the end I ended up with loads of fabrics sitting around doing nothing. Now I just use anything and everything. I love Bonnie's scrappiness. It allows me to put together the most outrageous fabrics with a fantastic result. Start with a positive attitude and you might find that you will actually be pleased with the result. If you aren't, then give it to someone who does and make them very happy.
 
Great looking blocks and it is fun to learn new techniques. You don't always have to make a big quilt for that. Good luck!
 
I also printed out the paper HST's. SO much easier for me to make.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?